RHOS JOB BOARD
**PRACTICE FOR SALE**
Long Beach optometrist hiring FULL TIME dispensing optician:
TITLE: Dispensing Optician
REPORTS TO: Doctor & General Manager (also works closely and in coordination with Office Coordinator and Insurance Billing/Lab Assistant
COMPENSATION: To Be Determined based on experience
Are you always following the latest trends in eyewear, fascinated with the way corrective lenses work and love helping people? If so, we may have the right job for you as an optician in our busy, friendly and family oriented office in Long Beach. The ideal person must be able to work with our diverse base of customers by delivering quality optical care and outstanding, friendly and professional customer service. You must be able to assist patients with eyeglasses fittings, eyewear testing and other optical dispensing. You must also possess strong sales skills by demonstrating a high level of knowledge about our products and determining our patients’ needs for eyewear so you can recommend specific accessories or enhancements for glasses.
MAIN JOB DUTIES:
• Use prescription information from the doctor, along with patient preferences, to provide patient education and recommendations regarding lens materials, products and designs for appropriately designed eyewear selection and lifestyle requirements.
• Performs prescription analysis such as interpreting and transposing.
• Performs eyeglass frame adjustments and repairs using optical tools. Includes proper alignment of frame, comfortable fit, functional vision and instructions on proper wear and care of eyeglasses.
• Performs accurate measurements of lens power, pupillary distance, multifocal segment height, lens base curve, vertex distance, and prism power to ensure comfortable, proper fit prior to ordering.
• Orders custom lens products from wholesale optical laboratories, monitors process, post charges and bill insurance when needed.
• Orders contact lenses for patients. • Instruct patients on how to use contact lenses by showing them how to insert, remove, and properly clean and care for contact lenses
• Verifies lens prescriptions of ordered lenses and check for accuracy.
• Assists in wholesale purchasing of frames and other products for resale to patients.
• Assists in the return of authorized merchandise to manufacturers and prepare credit forms.
• Designs, arrange and maintain product displays.
• Organizes and maintain frame display area throughout the workday.
• Monitors product inventory levels, order as needed based on office policies, inputs inventory into Office Mate Inventory System with appropriate pricing.
• Maintains inventory of office supplies and other materials necessary to properly run the optical lab and dispensary.
• Maintains instruments and hand tools used in the office.
• Maintains job knowledge by attending work training sessions, as needed.
• Promotes products and services of other elective programs provided by Tomlin Eye Care.
• Performs additional office tasks and duties as assigned. These can include, but are not limited to preparing paperwork for patient insurance payments, ordering inventory, tracking orders, fax management, UPS outgoing shipments.
• High School diploma or equivalent required. Certification by American Board of Opticianry preferred.
• 5 years of retail optician experience required. Bilingual (Spanish) preferred and extremely helpful.
• Strong organizational skills and focus on fine attention to detail.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate clearly and effectively with patients, staff, lab and frame vendors, managers and doctors.
• Understanding of the anatomy of the eye as well as normal, abnormal vision and perception.
• Knowledge of the laws and standards governing the ophthalmic field.
• Working knowledge of proper sales techniques.
• Basic computer literacy required. Proficiency with Office Mate/Exam Writer and Microsoft Programs.
• Seeks out and accepts feedback about job performance.
• Emotional stability, ability to deal with personal, professional and organizational change and growth.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
• Excellent visual acuity for close and detail work.
• Able to sit, stand, walk and be flexible in movement.
• Physically able to work with telephones, computers, printers, fax and credit card machines.
• Excellent hand-eye coordination, motor coordination, and ability to do precise work.
• Professional manner in work setting.
• Neat, well groomed, follows dress code.